March saw the end of In the Making, the inaugural exhibition at the ID2015 Design Hub in Dublin Castle, and with the start of April we welcome our next major exhibition: Hidden Heroes – The Genius of Everyday Things. An exhibition from the Vitra Design Museum, in cooperation with Hi-Cone, it's a fascinating exploration of the everyday items that fill our homes and workplaces, that delves into the story of their design and the continued importance they have in our daily lives. With a full programme of Design Bites talks, Saturday workshops and family days on the theme of Hidden Heroes, there's something to inspire everyone to unearth the extraordinary in the ordinary.
April will also see the first outing of our flagship show Liminal: Irish design at the threshold. Featuring a series of new collaborations between designers, makers and studios, Liminal makes its way to Tortona Design Week, part of FuoriSalone in Milan between April 14th and 19th.
PORTFOLIO: Side by Side opened at the very end of March in the ID2015 Kilkenny Design Hub at the National Craft Gallery. An exhibition of contemporary work from the Design & Crafts Council of Ireland’s PORTFOLIO: Critical Selection 2015-2016 publication, it's curated by Christina Jansen and features 22 makers who have been selected for achieving excellence in craftsmanship, design quality and technical skill by international standards. There's an inspiring line-up of talks, workshops, masterclasses and family days to give you a deeper insight into the processes behind creating work of this standard.
Around the country, ID2015 supported workshops, talks, conferences and exhibitions are in full swing. Events such as A Sense of Place – Celebrating the Architecture of Robin Walker, Sacred Space at Darc Space, Profiles, The Ulster Museum – Evolution Amist Revolution, Hidden Stories of Design: The Secret Lives of Objects, PORTFOLIO: Glass and Expanded Territories, are already underway with some in their final days, so catch them while you still can.
Here's your design guide to what's coming up in April:
- 13th/16th/20th/23rd April: Over two weeks in April, In2Design will host the Cork Creatives Series at Cork Institute of Technology to create a space where two creatives from complimentary creative disciplines, talk about their work, their experiences and inspiration.
- 24th – 27th April: Darklight Illuminates is a new way of storytelling, providing a platform for the work of experimental film-makers, creative technologies and leading critical thinkers.
- The Potting Shed and their team of volunteers, made up of product designers, fine artists, architects, coders, entrepreneurs, furniture designers, performance artists, marketers, engineers and more host an brainstorming sessions towards the end of April with Leckey and Firefly, world leaders in special needs postural design. The brainstorming session will focus on their new co-creation, idea-sharing platform H-a-t-c-h.
- 16th and 17th April: Hosted by The Department of Design & Creative Media at Letterkenny Institute of Technology, Co. Donegal in conjunction with Honeycomb Creative Works, DICE 2015 aims to discuss and elevate the role of design in adding value to business and society. With an eclectic range of speakers such as The Stone Twins, Post, Toby Scott, Chris Murphy and Annie Atkins, DICE 2015 is definitely a highlight of this month. Get your tickets here.
- IADT hosts Design and Visual Culture: Professionalising Design in Ireland 1960 – 2015, which discusses the professionalisation of Irish design subsequent to the seminal Scandinavian Report of 1962 and addresses the growth in Irish design across a range of practices.
- 3rd April: Running until July 5th at the Lewis Glucksman Gallery in Cork, A Stitch in Time – The Fabric of Contemporary Life presents works by Irish and international artists to reveal how woven designs have been created to link conventional craft, with radical expressions of identity.
- 6th April: Happening around the O'Connell St area of Dublin, Step into History: RTE Road to the Rising features more than 60 talks, exhibitions and live broadcasts throughout the day, including a 'Register Your Treasures' event at the GPO where archivists and historians from the National Library will assess your Easter Rising memorabilia.
- 9th April: Until April 23rd at Gallery Zozimus on Francis St in Dublin, Wilderness by Eddie Shanahan and Agata Stoinska is a photographic art exhibition celebrating refined craftsmanship at the edge of the clouds high in the Knockmealdown mountains.
Words by Alex Calder.