Irish Design 2015 (ID2015) is a year-long initiative exploring, promoting and celebrating the talent behind Irish design in the island’s first ever global design showcase.
Through a programme of events and activities engaging the public, the design community and businesses both in Ireland and internationally, ID2015 aims to highlight the very best of Irish design in order to drive job creation, grow exports and increase competitiveness. As part of ID2015, Dublin has been designated World Design Hub 2015 by the International Association of Designers, providing Ireland with a platform to promote the skills and creativity of Irish designers to a worldwide audience. The exciting programme presents the work of Irish designers at high profile international events in design capitals including London, Paris, Eindhoven, Milan, New York, Chicago and Hong Kong/Shenzhen.
The international programme for ID2015 includes several upcoming events in Italy:
- An ID2015 short film and animation award will be presented on March 26th at Irish Film Feasta which takes place in Rome's Villa Borghese, showcasing Irish feature films, documentaries and short films.
- The Bologna Children’s Book Fair which runs March 30th – April 2nd will feature the Illustrators Guild of Ireland and celebrate the success of StoryToys that scooped the Bologna Ragazzi Digital Award 2015 for My Very Hungry Caterpillar, beating competition from more than 190 entries.
- FuoriSalone in Milan, 14th – 19th April, will see the launch of the ID2015 flagship exhibition, Liminal – Irish Design at the Threshold. Showcasing a dynamic selection of work that has not been previously seen or experienced, the exhibition will highlight excellence in design alongside the evolution of the design process. Liminal will feature collaborations between over 20 designers across a diverse range of disciplines, including a mix of both existing and newly commissioned works. ID2015’s presence in Milan includes exclusive launches of new furniture ranges resulting from collaborations between Perch Design Studios, Thomas Montgomery and Labofa to the incredible story of Mourne Textiles whose award winning fabrics and rugs were first exhibited at La Triennale di Milano 1951 and will be brought to Milan once again through a collaboration with Notion design studio. Design Partners are set to unveil technology that will revolutionise how we interact with our living and work spaces while Studio AAD will provide a visual narrative that contextualises and highlights the breadth of Irish design. The designers exhibiting have been selected based on the innovative nature of their work, connected not only geographically but also through an ability to transcend disciplinary boundaries.
- Following Design Week, Milan Expo will feature Irish Design over the course of the six month run, 1st May – 31st October.
- An ID2015 initiative being announced around the world on Saint Patrick’s Day (17th March 2015) is the Global Irish Design Challenge which invites designers who Press Release March 2015 have Irish lineage or a strong affiliation to Ireland, to design a 2D or 3D object. The object is to provide a solution to a range of design challenges that reflects their understanding of and interpretation of contemporary Ireland. From Saint Patrick’s Day, 17th March, designers worldwide can register their interest to participate at www.irishdesign2015.ie – online entries will go live in April and run until September 2015.
ID2015 is an Irish Government backed initiative with a global reach. Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, Richard Bruton TD says:
“In Ireland we have many great businesses producing excellent design. The challenge for Government is to showcase these brilliant businesses around the world. That is why we have named 2015 the year of Irish design, and why we are supporting a comprehensive programme of national and international events. Irish Design 2015 aims to promote the very best of Irish design, supporting Irish businesses in selling their goods and services in competitive foreign markets and ultimately creating jobs at home.”
ID2015 will see over 300 design installations, conferences, exhibitions, talks and more take place on the island of Ireland and at global design events. The best talent in Ireland across a broad range of design disciplines - from product and industrial design, architecture and design engineering to fashion, costume and set design, animation, gaming and ICT design – will be profiled throughout 2015. For further details on all events and activities, visit irishdesign2015.ie.
Notes for Editors
About Irish Design 2015
Irish Design 2015 (ID2015) is a year-long initiative backed by the Irish government exploring, promoting and celebrating Irish design throughout Ireland and internationally in order to drive job creation, grow exports and increase competitiveness. Michael D. Higgins, President of Ireland, is Patron of Irish Design 2015 and the initiative has been included in the Irish Government’s Action Plan for Jobs. ID2015 is being convened by the Design & Crafts Council of Ireland (DCCoI), in collaboration with partner organisations, on behalf of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Enterprise Ireland. ID2015 partners include Founding Partners - MCO Projects; Accommodation Partners - The Doyle Collection; Venue Partners - OPW; Exhibition Partners – DAA; Technology Partners - IBM and Media Partners – The Irish Times. To learn more, visit www.irishdesign2015.ie
The Design & Crafts Council of Ireland (DCCoI) is the main champion of the design and craft industry in Ireland, fostering its growth and commercial strength, communicating its unique identity and stimulating quality design, innovation and competitiveness. The mission of DCCol is to promote and stimulate the creative and commercial potential of Irish design and craft and to work in collaboration with strategic partners in the ongoing development and growth of the sector. To learn more, visit: http://www.dccoi.ie To join the conversation and learn more, follow ID2015 on social media:
For further information and high res images (via Dropbox link), please contact: Katherine Sandford-Anderson | Sandford PR | firstname.lastname@example.org (UK) Leslie Curtis | Sandford PR | email@example.com (UK) Cristina Belmonte | Sandford PR | firstname.lastname@example.org (All other media) www.sandfordpr.com