ID2015 hosts a one day symposium to coincide with the launch of Platinum, the A'Design Award exhibition, at the Design Hub and the designation of Dublin as the World Design Hub 2015.
The symposium, 'Making Design Matter', examines the role of design in policy, communities, education and innovation. Does design matter, and what does that mean? This symposium seeks to ask some hard-hitting questions to spark dynamic discussion. What is design and how is it is perceived by governments, industry and wider society? What is the future of design education? Can design deliver on big promises of leading innovation? What does the future look like?
The symposium will be structured around a series of panels discussing the themes of Design in Policy, Making Design Matter, Design Education for the 21st Century and Design Led Innovation. Panels will involve a short presentation from each speaker followed by a quick fire discussion.
- Dr. Onur Cobanli, Founder OMC Design Studios, Italy
- Flaviano Celaschi, Dean of Design School, Università di Bologna, Italy
- Alessandro Deserti, Professor of Industrial Design Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Karen Hennessy, CEO Irish Design 2015
- Angela O'Kelly, Head of Design for Body and Environment, NCAD
- John Mathers, CEO Design Council UK
- Alex Milton, Programme Director, Irish Design 2015
- Francesca Rizzo, Associate Professor, Design School, Università di Bologna, Italy
- Toby Scott, Director, Pentacle the Virtual Business School
- Dalia Sadany, Chief Designer/Senior Partner, Gush Furniture & Lighting, Egypt
- Barry Sheehan, Head of Design, Dublin Institute of Technology